Carly Rae Jepsen - Dedicated (2019) | Review

This lady is a big name in the music industry. I mean she is the only Canadian woman to have a Diamond-certified single in the US. Yes, that is her! Carly Slay Jepsen as some stans would say. She is back with the new material and I am hyped to finally listen to it after three years of releasing E•MO•TION Side B. First things first, let's appreciate the outstanding cover. This is a pure piece of art. Carly mentioned in of the interviews that she is posing back because she is not fully happy with her body image used as a part of marketing. She said her music should be defeating itself. And it actually does! With her newest album Dedicated she proved she deserves to be called the queen of pop music. Her fourth studio album is very highly acclaimed by the critics. So, let's start reviewing this masterpiece!

https://is3-ssl.mzstatic.com/image/thumb/Music113/v4/68/38/91/6838916a-44dc-6b1d-b969-6061df461da4/00602577657528.rgb.jpg/3000x3000bb.jpeg

Julien, a promo single, is opening the album and I am all for it! She could not choose a better one for the first impression of the album. The dreamy and playful piece is a great transition from E•MO•TION era to the Dedicated one. Then we go with the two singles released at the same time - No Drug Like Me and Now That I Found You. The former is all about living in the 80s' where deep house vibes were thriving. Now That I Found You with its catchy chorus and filled with cats music video has performed quite a role on the worldwide charts. Carly presented its jazz version on BBC Live Lounge in late-April. Now we have the fanbase's favourite - Want You In My Room which sounds exactly like taken out of the, again, disco times. With Everything He Needs, I needed a couple of listening sessions. It just didn't hit me at first but now I am singing to it and feeling myself. We needed this one!

https://cdn.mikrofwno.gr/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/party-for-one-carly-rae-jepsen-mikrofwno.jpg
Happy Not Knowing is becoming viral on Twitter. No wonder why, when it sounds just like from E•MO•TION. I love its calm and positive vibes. I am wondering whether Carly has ever thought about the indie or rock-ish career. Because I'll Be Your Girl would be perfect for her. This lively anthem is giving me chills. And now we go with Too Much aka the best song as far as Carly is concerned (seriously, check her interview for BuzzFeed). I mean, she is right! This is definitely one of the best songs of 2019 and I am sure it will be her next big hit very shortly. She created something anyone can relate and anyone can dance to. Imagine listening to this piece on a bus to work or for a stroll, or even for a workout on a treadmill. She knew she would snap with Too Much and, girl, if this is the dedication she can put into music, I am going to give her my money! Off we go to The Sound which is the least favourite of mine in here. It starts as a pop ballad which I absolutely adore but then, the chorus destroys everything. She keeps repeating "sound" which makes me feel out of balance and I am not here for it.

https://na.cx/i/xYWSmX3.jpg
Automatically In Love might be the very next single because it is just so catchy. Carly enjoys herself in this one and you can hear her devotion to the song. We move on to Feels Right with Electric Guest which, holy-moly, makes me dance all my problems out within the time of 2:43. I like the idea of a collaboration which Carly is not used to doing. Even though Electric Guest is just, well, a guest and sings only in a few moments, it is still magical.


Right Words Wrong Time is my absolute banger of Dedicated. I love the beat, the sensuality, the anger, the story, the love, the passion, and the dedication. In this particular song, Carly is some sort of an actress singing her emotions out. She is quarrelling with her beloved one about different perspectives of life. Not to mention the change of tempo when she is literally crying the words. I am living for this song. Real Love and For Sure are preparing us for the ending of the album. With them, on the speaker, one can endlessly dream and be on cloud nine. And here we go, with Party For One, the very first single of the album. This motivational and cheerful song was released in November but is still active on my daily playlist. I love the increasing power in it. It always raises my spirits. Party For One leaves us eager for what is next. Obviously, this is a compliment because with this amount of great music one can easily lose thyself daydreaming.

https://www.msg.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/190709_CarlyRaeJepsen_web_1024x576.jpg


Carly's fourth studio album, Dedicated is not her best work. It remains in the shadow of E•MO•TION which was the definition of pop music. This is why I believe it is impossible to create a better album. Nevertheless, Dedicated is the best album of 2019 up-to-date and it is highly doubtful that someone could beat the queen down. Carly Rae (Slay) Jepsen truly deserves to be called the queen or princess of pop. Thank you for another amazing journey to the world of perfect music.

Comments

Nick said…
I listened to this record for the better part of 18 hours over the weekend, and I’m still blown away with each listen. I feel Dedicated is such a refreshing evolution, just as E•MO•TION was from Kiss, but Carly doesn’t lose her identity in it. The record is full of super subtle quirks and twists to pop music but has a final finishing layer that glues it together. Nice job on the track-by-track here!