THE BEST OF 2018
Hi music lovers! As the last days of 2018 are passing by, I decided to create a list of my top songs from 2018. This year was full of surprises, new genres, new styles, and new faces in music. Selena Gomez didn't release her highly-anticipated album, Ariana Grande shocked each of us with her massive singles, Ava Max showed up on the music scene, Miley Cyrus broke the silence with her collab with Mark Ronson, 6ix9ine came with two albums, and ZAYN smashed the audience with the recent coming out of Icarus Falls. As in last year, Just to let you know, the following list is my personal chart of 2018's twenty-five besties. I have chosen my 60 favourites but then it would be too long to read. You can still listen to them in the Spotify attachment at the end of the post. Hope you like it! Ohhh, and I'm looking forward to hearing from you what is your number one of 2018 - let me know in the comments! Let the countdown begin!
#25 Rita Ora - Falling To Pieces
She's beauty and she's grace. She's Miss... this year's music! With her phenomenal Phoenix album, Rita proved she's a grown lady with a lot of talent and allure. Falling To Pieces stole my heart at its first notes. The song is all about sensuality and emotions. Because of Ora's spectacular voice, the trumpet-themed tune is one of the most addictive songs of all time.
A French touch in my chart. TAL came back with her fourth studio album and Mondial is just the beginning of it. This summer essential has some samples from the legendary tune Ecuador by Sash! and Rodriguez back from the late '90s. The song was one of the anthems of FIFA World Cup 2018 in Russia.
#23 Ariana Grande - thank you, next
Who doesn't like some breakup songs? Especially those which have a big potential of becoming the iconic ones. Ariana spoiled us with her first number one on Billboard Hot 100. Thank u, next not only opened a new chapter for Miss Grande but also proved that she's no longer a ponytail shiny princess but the great pop diva. I love this song and its extremely catchy lyrics.
This one was my favourite from Invasion Of Privacy back in April 2018. The biggest Cardi's piece of music up-to-date is more likely to hit 1 billion views on Vevo in the next two months. The productions of Latin-derived tune is at its finest and holds the title of being one of the biggest ones in 2018 by critics all around the world. I said I like it like that!
#21 TACONAFIDE - Tamagotchi
First taste of some Polish accents in here. Two great musicians - Taco Hemingway and Quebonafide joined forces and created the prosperous project TACONAFIDE. Their biggest hit is just here - Tamagotchi with its melancholic sounding made Poland addicted over the summer. One does not have to speak Polish to move to the groove of this masterpiece.
How is it even possible that with every next song, The Chainsmokers keep digging and make better and better tunes? With Side Effects, I haven't split since its release date. This bop keeps me smiling and dancing even in the worst times. I am so thankful for Camila Mendes in the music video because this girl is fire.
#19 Mark Ronson & Miley Cyrus - Nothing Breaks Like A Heart
I knew that Miley is great in the country-themed songs but this one... OMG! Without a doubt, #NBLAH is the Jolene of our generation. Alongside its nostalgic, calm, fierce, and powerful echo, Ronson and Cyrus created a timeless tune which we all needed. I am rooting for its global success and some next collabs from these two.
#18 Brodka ft. A_GIM - Wszystko, czego dzis chceBy recreating and covering one of the most iconic Polish songs of all time, Brodka once again marked her place on a music scene. Her gloomy and explicit version of Wszystko, czego dzis chce shocked us all. The song comes from the soundtrack for Rojst and I can't wait till' I click the 'play' button.
#17 Kendrick Lamar ft. SZA - All The Stars
This one was my essential for long spring strolls. I don't know why but it makes me feel so confident and comfortable every time I listen to it. How is it even possible? All The Stars graced the soundtrack of the Black Panther movie which was a blockbuster.
#16 Ariana Grande - breathinThe third single from Sweetener and another banger. Breathin still gets me shivering while listening and has not got out of my daily playlist since August. I love the energy in this one. A piece of simple advice from Ariana might be the most relevant one - just keep breathin - she says. Very touching and genuine tune from Ari.
#15 Rita Ora & Liam Payne - For You (Fifty Shades Freed)
This one was the first premiere I was looking for at the beginning of 2018. Putting this two together and doubling the British power could not go wrong. Eventually, we were delivered a powerful and sensual song with a vintage background. Both Rita & Liam seem to scream the lyrics from the bottom of their heart making it even more magical and steamy.
What about the greatest duo of 2018? In the music video for Dance To This Troye and Ariana have fun dancing on the tables and singing in public. The smooth and sultry piece of music is a great companion for a date or just a stroll in a park. As the title says - I love dancing to this as well.
#13 Sigrid - Strangers
The new face, and the big tune. She's probably the biggest revelation of this year with her smash EP - Raw. I am telling you this right now, that this girl will slay! Strangers which is perfect for this bitchy mood and a girl power anthem won't get out of your head. Just let this young lady sing. I can't wait for her first longplay Sucker Punch which is coming out on the 1st of March 2019!
No one will stop this girl! She has been pressuring us with her every next single just to drop the bomb in October with her smash Emotion. This sultry track cuts deep with lyrics and leaves one with the guilt trip and a willingness to change something. I have loved it since the first listening.
#11 Bebe Rexha - Knees
This gloomy and stripped-down banger hit us during summer with the release of Rexha's debut longplay - Expectations. I can listen to this version of Bebe till the end of my days. I love the way she is expressing feelings through her music and chords (especially in Knees). Most recently, she performed the song live just for her fans.
Obviously, Kygo has never let me down and he keeps releasing the greatest songs every single year. In 2018 I was blessed by having Remind Me To Forget on my playlists. Miguel's voice sounds so relaxing in this one and I hope for more collabs by these two. Good job, my king of music!
#9 Dennis Lloyd - Nevermind
As we move closer to the best of the best in 2018, breathe in and breathe out 'cause it's gonna be a lot. Nevermind which may as well be the greatest song for long summer sunsets stole my heart by its house vibes. I can't imagine this holidays without this tune in my ears. I am so thankful that it eventually was so widely played in Europe because Lloyd totally deserved it.
In my Spotify Wrapped 2018, Dicen was apparently my most played song in 2018. No wonder why, when this latino hit makes me feel so free. I remember driving to my first hair colouring to this tune and absolutely feeling myself. This is a very good start for Lele in music industry!
#7 Ariana Grande - no tears left to cry
It's very doubtful that someone has not heard this one in 2018. By paying tribute to the casualties in Manchester attack back in 2017, she proved she is stronger than ever. Not only did she release an outstanding song but also recorded a phenomenal deformed music video.
Thank God, Iggy finally released this bop! After leaking in 2017 as a part of her highly anticipated album - Digital Distortion, I thought that this one would never get a recognition it deserves. Out of the blue, Iggy announced in January that she would release Saviour in a new version with Quavo (imagine me screaming). The song hasn't been as popular as its descendant KREAM but lived to see its gorgeous music video.
#5 Cheat Codes & Litte Mix - Only You
My summer number one lands at the fifth place in here. The LGBT anthem has not reached the top of the charts but proved that both, Cheat Codes and Little Mix still have their groove and can create something spectacular. I truly adore this collab.
One Kiss had been my pretender for the first place for a really long time but then something did not click. Anyway, it climbed very high because of its captivating late 80s vibes and great vocal performance of Lipa. Having listened to it once, it got stuck in one's head for a really, really long time.
#3 Selena Gomez - Back To You
Even though this young lady did not even lift a finger in the promotion of this massive pop song, she succeeded in releasing one of the best music videos of 2018 and stole the show with the guitar-stripped lead single from 13 Reasons Why second season soundtrack. This banger is perfect for Gomez and her sensual tone colour.
This tune has stayed with me since the release date which was sometime around February. I just can't help feeling so powerful while listening to this positive EDM bop. Forever Young is perfect for every part of the year and keeps me robust at any time. I love it!
#1 Niall Horan - On The Loose
Although being released in late 2017, it became an official single at the beginning of 2018. This banger and a music masterpiece is not only my favourite song this year but also one of my favourites ever! Having created this sultry, perfect-for-driving, touchy, and rock piece of art, Niall knew that he would steal the audience's hearts. He even said in an interview in Australia that On The Loose is his favourite song on the debut album Flicker. What can I say? This one is a true music blessing for our ears this year! Congratulations, Niall Horan!
Thank you, my readers, for another year of listening to music together! In 2018 we hit 10,000 views on Bua's Music Industry and I am so thankful for every activity in here! Have a very Happy New Year! More to come on the first days of 2019! If you wish you might listen to my TOP60 of 2018 on Spotify in the attachment below as promised at the beginning of the post. You will not regret it!
All of the photos used in this post are retrieved from genius.com.
























Comments