Sigrid - Sucker Punch (2019) | Review
Hello music lovers! This time I wrote about Sigrid's new album - Sucker Punch. You may know this Norwegian artist from her big hit Strangers which charted in Europe at the beginning of 2018. It is one of my favourites of that year and having listened to her previous EPs I am more than excited to finally review this - what some call - pop perfection.
![]() |
| https://www.fotoconciertos.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/sigrid_sucker_punch.jpg |
Sigrid hits us first with her album-titled single Sucker Punch. It sounds like one of these girly songs with some Avril Lavigne's rock style but created in a more modern way. To be honest, I expected much more from this piece. It is good, though, for a break-up playlist or just unwinding. What is worth to listen on the album is the second track - Mine Right Now with its 90's vibe among others. Since the entrance is not sparky, I decided to repeat her biggest hit up-to-date, Strangers for about three times to compensate for the previous experience. The must-see there is calm Level Up which could be even more perfect with Astrid S (her music and country colleague). Other hits are In Vain, which happens to be the very next single, and Never Mine. These bangers are perfect for spring strolls and bringing in joy, power and motivation. And one more thing, lyrics in Basic is something magical and emotional. You should check it out.
To sum up, Sigrid punched herself with this album. I just don't understand why is that she took so much time to create a 'perfect album' meanwhile it is just simple. The only thing which virtually catches one attention is her outstanding voice. Another disappointment is the fact that her team did not put Fake Friends and Plot Twist on the tracklist. Singles are good but not as catchy as her previous ones and might have been chosen in a different order with Don't Feel Like Crying going after Strangers. I feel like this album was not made up in Sigrid's style but more for public appreciation. I would give it 4 out of 10 just for the singles and some good hits but I know she can do better. Nevertheless, I am waiting to hear more from her and I surely will be following her career path.

Comments