Okay, take a deep breath! SELENA GOMEZ IS BACK and this is not a drill! I bet every single one of you have been waiting for her big album comeback since Revival in 2015. But today's the day when we are blessed by her angelic voice once again! Rare serves more than we wanted or expected it to be. Alright, the singles such as Bad Liar, Fetish or It Ain't Me she released along the way set a high standard but believe me, the content on Rare is out of this world. Selena says that this is her private journal and that she has never been more honest with the world! I am so glad that she included all of the orphans on the deluxe version because it would not be completed without them on. Miss Gomez has been teasing the projects over these four years multiple times but the outcome was worth waiting for. She said that this is her best album up-to-date and I agree on that. She definitely grew not only as an artist but as a woman and you can hear it in the lyrics. "I know that I'm special", "I don't need permission/ Feels so good to dance again", "I needed to lose you to love me", "If I show you all my demons, and we dive into the deep end/ Would we crash and burn like every time before? I would tell you all my secrets, wrap your arms around my weakness" or "In the dark I'm letting go, so anonymously/ I guess this is what it feels like to be free". Selena is all about self-love and Selenators are here for it.
youtube.com
I would not list my favourite song here because all of them deserve praise. What I would do instead is telling you that Rare, Dance Again, Let Me Get Me, Ring, Vulnerable and Kinda Crazy will stay in my playlist for a really long time. The opening track makes a perfect transition from the Revival beats to the new Selena. American singer claims she is rare and she is better than ever. With her calm voice and some choir, she earned every single note here. Dance AgainandLet me Get Me might be a response to JLo and Britney Spears's discography. Selena is fierce, powerful and she knows she is a 100% that girl! The single, Lose You To Love Me scored her first #1 on Billboard. The ballad was named one of the best songs of 2019 by multiple magazines and let Selena open to a new audience. In turn, Look At Her Now which was released 24 hours after the mentioned single, got acclaimed by critics and the music video was entirely shot on iPhone 11 Pro Max. Ring delivers the steamy vibes and twines like a serpent around our speakers. Vulnerable gives us all the feels- the cotton-candy-sunset song reminds me of good old times with When The Sun Goes Down but in a fresh and modern release. It definitely deserves to be the very next single! People You Know is similar to Halsey's discography. Crowded Room with 6LACK actually disappointed me- it does not sound like Selena's genre at all. I hope it will age well like some good wine so that I could eventually come around to it. Kinda Crazy could easily replace our morning coffee- everybody loves it and needs it! This is Selena I want to listen to much more often! The trumpets in the background consort with Miss Gomez's soothing voice. In 2:36 we are finally being served with the bridge she teased back in 2016! I bet Selena had fun recording Fun because one can actually hear it! The song is about a non-committal relationship. Cut You Off is the most chilled piece on the album- Selena daringly and calmly hit all of the notes with lowkey background music. And last but not least, Sweeter Place - the second collaboration on the album with Kid Cudi. Some fans say that this is their favourite song from Rare but I wouldn't agree. Don't get me wrong- Sweeter Place is great but it lacks in some truly iconic sounds. The idea of putting it at the very ending of the album was perfect though. It closes this chapter and makes us all wait for more from Selena and her team.
selenagomez.com
When it comes to the deluxe version of Rare- we can find the orphan singles Miss Gomez was releasing over 2017 and 2018. We start with Bad Liar which was named the best song of 2017 by Billboard. It gave us the best music video she has ever recorded and brought 70's culture back. Fetish with Gucci Mane was the first taste of the new Selena. The sultry, intimate and airy song is the most underrated one of hers. It Ain't Me with Kygo hasn't left my heart and daily playlist since its release in February 2017. I would even dare to call the song of the past decade. It has everything it takes for a song to please the audience and rule the world. The lyrics, the beat, the energy, the sensuality, Kygo, Selena, everything! Back To You was a sunset anthem over summer 2018. The Thirteen Reasons Why: Season 2 main song was truly one of the best songs of that year and in Selena's discography. The last one on the tracklist is Wolves in a collab with Marshmello which delivered a completely new sounding to music. Back in October 2017, it was (and still is tho) something fresh and beautiful. Do you remember the iconic AMA's performance and Selena debuting in blonde?
There is one thing for sure that we will all agree on- Selena is one of the biggest names right now and she only grows stronger. She took over four years to surprise us with the new era and every split second of this album deserves a standing ovation for that. This is not the best album ever recorded but sure as hell is something we have been waiting for for ages and what Selena put her heart into. As Taylor Swift beautifully summarised- 'This is the first time I've heard her truly channel the details of her emotional experience. She's finally allowing herself to let other people know things aren't always OK. You can be vulnerable & lonely & independent & strong & brave & scared all at once'. I stand by this 100% and would never say it better! Rare is the best Selena Gomez's album up-to-date and she proved us all that long wait indeed means good results.
Comments