BLACKPINK - Blackpink In Your Area (2018) | Review

spotify.com
BLACKPINK is a rising South-Korean girl band with a great potential of becoming the next number one. The group has just released their first full album (they just mixed their two previous EP together) called BLACKPINK IN YOUR AREA. The title appears in most of their songs and as I know, it is iconic in their motherland. Jisoo, Jennie, Rosé and Lisy cannot stop surprising us all with the modernity of their music. Synth-pop, dance, or EDM - this is just the beginning of what BLACKPINK has to offer not only for South Korea but also for the rest of the world. By jumbling Korean and English languages while singing, their songs become ever more catchy and rhythmic. Recently, they joined forces with Dua Lipa on Kiss and Make Up which appeared on the most important global charts. Let's go to the review.

Girls decided to slay at the entrance with their smash hit BOOMBAYAH. The song has its own Japanese version and took over domestic charts back in Korea. This tune draws the attention of the most-demanding music listeners. Its absolutely addicting sound is perfect for workout and house party. Then WHISTLE comes on. The single was my first encounter with the girl band back in 2017. To be honest, I remember myself jamming to it, but now, after BLACKPINK's further singles, I got bored of it. Nonetheless, the song has legs and I do like it. PLAYING WITH FIRE, and STAY come from girls' first EP. The former is kind of 00's-themed bop with multiple of synth-pop sounds. Meanwhile, the latter is a pure definition of a pop ballad which is accompanied by calm guitar strumming. If not for its awful chorus, AS IF IT'S YOUR LAST would undoubtedly be the best song on BLACKPINK IN YOUR AREA. It is because of it's massive energy alongside with the great Korean power in girls' voices. DDU-DU DDU-DU for now is the biggest hit of BLACKPINK; however, let's not call it a day yet. I bet they have some awesome coming up.  One can easily get addicted to the peculiar-titled song. One more throwback with FOREVER YOUNG which has nothing to represent apart from its lively and interesting chorus background. SEE YOU LATER starts as a good pop dance banger but then, unfortunately, changes into something of R'n'B' ilk, which would sound great when divided. Anyway, even though BLACKPINK just put their previous projects together, BLACKPINK IN YOUR AREA is a very good step in their career. I think they should record more, but I am sure there is more on its way. I am not a fan of K-Pop but I enjoyed this one.

Comments